From Lab to Skin: Sunscreen and SPF Testing and Analysis
With summer approaching, sunscreen and SPF products are in high demand. Many manufacturers and distributors are increasing production and preparing to ship their products. However, prior to labeling and shipment, many will look for laboratories to perform Sunscreen and SPF Testing and Analysis. SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor.
The SPF value indicates the level of sunburn protection provided by the sunscreen product. In order to determine the SPF number, an indoor experiment exposes human subjects to a light spectrum meant to mimic noontime sun exposure. The amount of light that induces redness in sunscreen-protected skin divided by the amount of light that induces redness in unprotected skin is the SPF number.
To determine the effectiveness of products, it is necessary to conduct testing according to an SPF test procedure. Additionally, it is necessary to conduct testing to substantiate the labeling claims of Broad-Spectrum.
Contract Laboratory, Inc. has helped many manufacturers and distributors of sunscreen products, including cosmetics with sunscreens, outsource their SPF and sunscreen Testing. Below are examples of how we have helped:
- FDA Pharmaceutical API manufacturer requires Pharmaceutical Laboratory for sunscreen testing: Star rating test, water resistance / waterproof / sweat proof tests. Laboratory Tests need to be valid for USA, Eu, Australia, and Japan.
- Pharmaceuticals laboratory needed for EU skincare sunscreen testing: In- Vitro SPF testing for sunscreen with zinc oxide.
- India Product Safety Laboratory is needed for In-Vitro testing for SPF values on topical products. Need UVA/UVB ratios.
- Pharmaceutical Laboratory needed for SPF Testing: Water Resistance test for sunscreen.
- India Product Safety Laboratory needed for Cosmeceutical Testing of several products: In-Vitro SPF testing of topical creams and gels.
- Hong Kong and China analytical chemistry and microbiology laboratory are needed for cosmetics testing at least one of the following types: chemical testing/Microbiology testing efficacy testing /SPF testing/toxicology testing.
- FDA GMP Cosmetics Laboratory is needed for FDA SPF Testing of cosmetic products tested for SPF with the FDA testing guidelines.
- Southern USA FDA GMP analytical chemistry laboratory needed for SPF Testing.
- The pharmaceutical manufacturer needs sunscreen testing: SPF Testing, PA Testing (Persistent Pigment Darkening) Star rating test, and water resistance/waterproof/sweat-proof tests.