Frozen Fruit Callback Due to Possible Listeria Contamination
Completing fruit and vegetable testing before sales is extremely important. Grocery stores across the US have announced a recall of bags of frozen fruit as of last Thursday, due to potential Listeria contamination.
Sunrise Growers Inc. is a subsidiary of SunOpta Inc. and has recently announced a voluntary recall of its products due to concerns about potential contamination. To read the full company recall announcement, go to the full release on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website.
To prevent incidents such as this, farms, produce distributors, and food manufacturers should conduct testing, analysis, inspection, and certification of their fruits and vegetables prior to shipment, use, or consumption. Fruits and vegetables can be tested for nutritional quality, safety, adulteration, and microbial growth. Learn more about Contract Laboratory’s fruit testing and analysis here.
The recall was prompted by concerns over the fruits supplied by a third party that may carry the bacteria. Listeria monocytogenes can cause short-term symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, and fever.
For people with weaker immune systems or vulnerable populations like young children and the elderly, these infections can be fatal. Moreover, a listeria infection can result in miscarriage for pregnant women, according to an article from CBS News.
Fruit and vegetable testing is conducted to maintain high standards of quality and ensure the safety of the food supply.
See the complete list of recalled products here.
Fruits and Vegetables Testing and Research Services
Contract Laboratory can help you with all your fruits and vegetable testing, analysis, scientific research and development, inspection, certification, engineering, failure investigation, and product development needs including:
- Pesticide testing
- Nutritional testing
- Quality testing
- Taste testing
- Pathogen testing
- Surface residue testing
- Texture analysis testing
- Soil testing
- Allergen testing
Recent Fruit and Vegetable Laboratory Requests.
Contract Laboratory can help with testing, analysis, assays, evaluations, examinations, inspections, and certifications for different fruit and vegetable test methods, standards, procedures, or specifications.
- Test Request: 23-01773. Vegetable Nutritional Value Testing. MULTIPLE PRODUCTS. An agricultural food laboratory is needed for nutritional value testing vegetables including peppers, radishes, and beets.
- Test Request: 23-01744. NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT. Organic product company seeks Contract Laboratory for determining oligosaccharides composition in new products made using banana starch. Equipment is needed to analyze the structure and quantity of oligosaccharides, particularly fructooligosaccharides (FOS).
- Test Request: 23-01700. MULTIPLE TESTING. Food Laboratory needed for fresh-cut apples. Testing to determine nutritional facts and phytochemical contents.
- Test Request: 23-01676. MULTIPLE PRODUCTS. MULTIPLE TESTING. Contract Laboratory required to test residue of cinnamon oil (cinnamaldehyde) and thyme oil (thymol) on grapes. The project involves analyzing 30 samples in early September. It would be desirable to develop and validate a testing method by early August. Also, depending on the success of the study there is potential for continued collaboration.
- Test Request: 22-00703. USA Contract Laboratory needed for alcohol by volume ABV testing of fermented fruit-alcohol % in 100 milliliters.
See more Fruit and Food Testing Projects.